Skip to main content

Another World

Last week, in my lecture for the course Literature and Politics, I read the poem “Different Histories” to the 50 plus students. It was an important poem I had written when I was an undergraduate student, just learning to write and the thoughts that went into the poem have become more real to as I explained the return to the place of my birth in the month of January, 2019.

Uncle Thomas Pomala, Michael Fischer, Thorsten Trimmpop, and Daniel Hui @ Songo in Forest, Ulighembi 2019

I made an unplanned visit to the forest place in the Prince Alexander Mountain range where my umbilical cord lies buried. On a fine day, the 8th of January 2019 I drove up to Ulighembi Village in a hired 5 doors Toyota Landcruiser. 

Accompanying me were three friends who flew all the way from the USA and Singapore. Thorsten Trimpop, the award winning filmmaker based in Chicago, the anthropologist, Michael Fischer based in Boston, Massachusetts, and the Singaporean filmmaker Daniel Hui, arrived in Papua New Guinea to collaborate with me on a film on flutes and the bird of paradise.  Our collaboration began out of nowhere, though it was Thorsten who invited me to be a co-writer of the film.

The best part of the collaboration is that I get to work with Michael Fischer because I studied his work as a graduate student in 1994 at the University of Minnesota. How often do you get a legendary scholar like Michael come to your country, hometown, and village? Incredible experience of a lifetime, I’d say.

In Ulighembi we met up with my cousins, Camillus Suwaliha and Andrew Hasai, before others like uncles, Thomas Pomala and Micheal Manai. They were expecting my arrival with my friends. Word was sent prior to our arrival in the village.

As soon as we arrived Thorsten started film the natural environment and the elusive cry of the Manui or the Bird of Paradise. We followed the Bird of Paradise into the forest where more filming of birds in their natural habitats were made.

It was a pleasant walk through the primary forest where I found peace and serenity. I had been living the cities of neon lights and cobble stone for so long that returning to my forest homeland was just pleasant.

Uncle Michael Manai on his flute 2019
In the middle of the forest I asked Uncle Michael to play his flute in a bush shelter near a creek where someone had made sago sometime back. Thorsten filmed Uncle Michael playing his flute in the forest shelter. It was amazing to stage and direct a film moment in the middle of the forest.

We walked on an arrived at a clearing in the forest. It is the flying fox trap belonging to one of my cousins.  We rested to catch our breath an air before deciding that the journey is complete if we make it to old site where I was born and raised.

Michael took the opposite direct to my uncle Alex’s home where he would wait for us.

Determined we tracked on to my birth place of Buk’nholi and Jong’kwinumbo. No one lives in these hamlets anymore. Both places are filled with secondary forest.

In our walk to the two childhood homes birds and spirits of the forest were in welcoming mood. Birds played and sang in merriment in the forest. It was immediately registered in my mind that the spirit world of my childhood was awakened with the news of my arrival.

Close to the village I told that a sago palm I had planted as a child had grown and provided food for my family on my mother’s side.

I also walked passed the track that I used a lot as a child to go to the forest with my mother and father. I remembered I had cut one of my finger with a knife one day.  It was the very spot I had thought of when I composed a poem “Different Histories”, which is wonderful poem that eventually got published in the anthology Nuanua: pacific writing in English since 1980 edited by Albert Wendt.

Different Histories

I once returned to the place of my blessed cord
Buried in the black earth.
I stood silent at the wonder of those
Birds that flew day in and out of their nests
Below the blue sky which drops to earth somewhere.

I remembered those years of my childhood
Papa in front with his piece of firewood
Me in the centre
And Mama at the rear loaded
With string bags of wood, food and water.
Each day I returned home earlier than Papa and Mama
To find the evenings of fund and games frolicking
In the cool evening breeze.

But watching the sky again
I realize the clouds have moved
So has my childhood Buk’nholi life
Which has drifted
Into a different world.

Making different histories
My people no longer to me
Are the people of my childhood’s history
My Papa and Mama are no longer to me
The protectors of my life
My home no longer to me
My place of being
But a mere reference of my whole history

Relatives on the forest walk

Appreciating this poem I had written in the 1980s was so invigorating. The birds were the welcoming party of a son who had gone on a long journey away from the forest home. This is one of the first poems I had written as a young writer.

We arrived at the plateau between Buk’nholi and Jonkwinumbo hamlets. My father Gregory who had also walked with me there spoke against going into the village sites because it was no complete forest.

We rested as a young cousin climbed one of the coconuts belonging to my mother’s family. We quenched our thirst with the young green coconut juice.

Out of now where my father said I should tell Thorsten the story about how he me my mother. He pointed to the exact spot.  I laughed about it because I know about their meeting and the subsequent consequence of their eloping. It was a topic that is spoken about in a joking way though the time my father took my mother away from her family created a show-down of muscles between my father’s side and my mother’s side. Another story of its own that I had tried to capture in the short story “The Drums of Night” published in my collection The Unpainted Mask (2010) and later in Yellow Medicine Review: A Journal of Indigenous Literature, Art, and Thought (2007), a Minnesota USA based magazine.

Before making the return trip I spoke into the air thanking everyone both spirit of the land, air, and ancestors for welcoming me back to the place where I was born. I acknowledge the place for giving birth to me and seeing me grow up to be what I am. It was a moment of spiritual connection for me. I felt them watching and listening to me.

I remembered one of my teachers and my grandfather Fehim’boli Ramasua whom I lasted visited him in Jongkwinumbo during a research trip.  I had written a poem about him also in the 1980s, which was published in my first collection of poetry, Lomo’ha I am in Spirit’s Voice I Call (1991):

Fe’himboli, the Teacher I know

On my last return I saw
Your lame and frigid body
Overheated by burning wood
Thrown awkwardly into a bed
Age has beaten our lives
And destroyed precious moments

Betrayed old man
I have betrayed you
Not because I wanted to
I was forced to betray

Fe’himboli, a frail voice
My knowledge of my childhood
With you at Jonkuinumbo,
I remember we would hunt together
With me on your tireless shoulders
Through hostile jungles in dark
Horror filled and moonless nights

Betrayed old man
I have betrayed you
Not because I wanted to
I was forced to betray

Being away in my youth
Deprived me of your classes
On our ancestor’s traditions and values
I returned to record your wise words
In my conscientious years, but
By then you were no longer
Able to command energy to speak

The poem was written in the late 1980s on my last trip to the village before I stayed away from returning to Buk’nholi and Jonkwinumbo hamlets.

Boram Bay, Wewak East Sepik Province 2019

What a return home experience it had been with memories and spaces I left opening up into another world. After travelling all over the world here I am return to the land where my umbilical cord lies buried.


Comments

Peter KARUA said…
Professor,

I was intrigued when you first mentioned this in class. As an undergraduate, I imagined the world that lies ahead and wondered if I have ever anticipated the relocation that would soon be imposed by my contemporary ambitions and educational goals.

It indeed provoked me.

Popular posts from this blog

The first PNG Writer: Hosea Linge

  With so much going on around us we tend to forget about important foundations of our history. I could not get out of my mind the much neglected discussion on the first Papua New Guinean writer. Every now and then we need to acknowledge the important parts of our history as we move forward. I would like to acknowledge the first Papua New Guinean to write a book in the 1930s. A New Irelander by name of Ligeremaluoga wrote and published his book under the title The Erstwhile Savage: An Account of the Life of Ligeremaluoga in 1932. Ligeremaluoga is from Kono village in New Ireland Province. Ligeremaluoga’s book is by all accounts the first written account by a South Pacific Islander. Most of what we know as Pacific writing is dated to the 1960s and 1970s. Last month I presented a paper at the University of Hawaii to discuss another early Papua New Guinean writer by name of Ahuia Ova of Hanuabada, who published his memoirs in 1939, six years after Ligeremaluoga’s autobiography. Both

Milky Pine Power

Young Milky Pine ( Alstonia scholaris ) The importance of plant names in the local language is an example of a complex structure of   meaning. Different plants are used for specific purposes in our traditional societies. The same plant known by a common name can have sacred names to different people. Most often these sacred names are linked to myths, rituals, and spiritual powers. Many people know the general names for plants, but different species have a different name or an additional word to indicate colour, wild plants, domesticated plants, or cultivated.  Where plants have medicinal and ritual values they may have sacred names known only to those who claim ownership of the plant and its powers. The tanget ( Cordyline fruticosa ), for example, is generally known in Nagum Boiken language as hawa . This name includes the cultivated ones, which are red in color and appears in long and short round leaves. The green wild ones are also kno

PAPA SAM’S INSPIRING PRINCIPLES OF SUCCESS

Papa Sam. Be Inspired: Prepare for the Age of Wisdom through personal viability. (Port Moresby: Human Resource Development. 2019): 222 pages. One of the reasons I agreed to review Papa Sam’s book is because I had a chance encounter with him as we lay side by side at the Pathology lab at the Port Moresby General Hospital some time back many years ago. We were donating blood that day. I was there to donate blood to save my wife after her surgery from uterus cancer. He smiled at me and said he was donating his blood because he had too much and that it was a way of releasing stress and anxiety. I had a long smile and a wonderful memory of that day. Be Inspired: Prepare for the Age of Wisdom through personal viability , is book written by Samuel Tam Senior, better known as Papa Sam. The book is a memoir about the principles of personal viability, education for life changing thinking for a better world, and true education and mind development. In short the book is a gem